Skype Hypnotherapy & Online Therapy
Skype hypnotherapy and online therapy can bring professional hypnotherapy and therapy services to you when you are unable to travel to the clinical hypnotherapy practice.
Using Skype or any other media or digital related-technology and software applications (e.g. FaceTime or WhatsApp), you can have your hypnotherapy consultations in your chosen familiar environment, including the comfort of your own home. Other methods of communication (telephone, email and email chats/texts) can also be used to facilitate your treatment when you are unable to visit the clinic or make a video call. Another name for it is e-therapy.
What makes Skype hypnotherapy and online therapy so appealing?
With online therapy, it doesn’t matter where you live; online therapy opens the doors to access your treatment without the need to travel to your appointment. So, no more travelling costs or being stuck in congested peak time traffic!
The particular time and day of your treatment is also more flexible for you to have your treatment when it suits you best. Some later appointments can be accommodated when The Therapy Centre is closed.
Even if you are based in Cardiff, there are certain situations or medical conditions which can benefit from online therapy. Examples include physical mobility issues, agoraphobia, panic attacks and social anxiety.
If you regularly travel away from Cardiff with work commitments, then using Skype therapy can mean fewer disruptions in your treatment program. Consider online therapy to keep your therapy moving!
Skype therapy and online therapy is not just for clients living in Cardiff. You can access treatment for your condition anywhere in UK. Even if you live abroad, you can access online therapy with all its benefits from an English speaking professional hypnotherapist anywhere in the world!
Is Skype hypnotherapy effective?
The demand of any new situation needs a period of adjustment. You were probably apprehensive when you received face-to-face therapy, getting to know your therapist and their methods for the first time. But soon after that initial stage, you were able to relax and benefit from the experience. The same can be said for Skype hypnotherapy. It can take a little time to adjust to the style of communication, but it can be an effective method of treatment with a few contingencies in place.
There is growing evidence that, in the right situation, online therapy can be used as effective methods of therapy. Skype hypnotherapy, in my opinion, should not be a complete replacement for all face-to-face therapy; but it is a good substitute when, for whatever reason, you are unable to access the face-to-face therapy that you want. Therapy, in any form, requires commitment on your part to help make it work. When you are committed to your treatment, online therapy is another way to help you achieve your therapy goals.
How does Skype hypnotherapy work in practise?
If you have never previously used Skype to communicate in work meetings or to chat to friends, then it would be an ambitious step to use Skype first for hypnotherapy. I suggest you get acquainted with all of its features and then resume your hypnotherapy treatment using Skype.
Compared to audio (telephone) and text/email therapy (which all have their benefits in the right situation), the live video link ensures that body language and “facial” communication is retained. Thus by positioning the webcam, tablet or smart phone, I can observe many of the visual features of hypnosis shown on your face.
The stages of treatment involve:
- Your initial enquiry: Your initial email or telephone enquiries usually involve me answering some questions about the suitability of hypnotherapy to treat your presenting condition. You may have already found these answers online or within my website. Your acceptance of the online terms and conditions means that you are ready to go to the next stage.
- Completion of medical questionnaire by email: The completion of an online medical questionnaire will include your personal details, medical history, lifestyle details and brief mention of your presenting condition/therapeutic goal.
- Book an online initial consultation assessment: A brief online initial consultation can be arranged using the selected hardware and software digital media e.g. Skype or FaceTime. The can ensure that there is sufficient compatibility and contingencies in place.
- Online payment when making your appointment: All online therapy consultations require payment immediately after booking. 24 hours notice is needed for any appointment changes. A late cancellation fee is payable.
Duration of online therapy sessions: Online therapy sessions are usually 45-50 minutes in duration.
What about technological disruptions or failures? During the initial stages of the treatment, a “safe mode” is activated so that if communication is lost, you can return to your safe place and gradually return to consciousness. Another method of communication e.g. landline or mobile phone (offline) can then be used to recover the session.
Technical requirements for online hypnotherapy
Please ensure that you have the following:
- A fast internet connection e.g. cable or DSL broadband.
- A computer with integrated microphone or headset with microphone.
- A webcam for face-to-face therapy sessions.
- A valid Skype (or other application) account and the latest software.
- A location that is private (free from any distractions if possible).
- A location that is comfortable (sitting or lying position) and still in view of the webcam, phone or tablet video camera.
For mobile and tablet users:
- Battery life to cover up to 60 minutes of communication
- A tripod or similar device to hold your mobile during hypnotherapy sessions.
Your suitability for online therapy
Skype therapy is not suitable if:
- You are under 18 years of age (parental consent is required).
- You are feeling suicidal (please contact The Samaritans).
- You are under the influence of alcohol or recreational drugs prior to or during your consultation.
- You are not under the supervision of a psychiatrist or suffering from any diagnosed psychiatric condition, psychological illness or epilepsy.
Terms and conditions
Please read the general terms and conditions and particularly the “Skype hypnotherapy & online therapy terms and conditions” prior to booking your first appointment. By completing the Contact form, you are confirming that you have read and accept these terms and conditions.
Updates: The terms and conditions on this page may be revised without notice. If you have restarted therapy after a period of absence, then please check that you are still in agreement to any amendments made since your previous course of therapy.
Online terms of service
Richard J D’Souza is a UK qualified and registered hypnotherapist. He follows professional codes of conduct that fulfil the membership requirements of UK based hypnotherapy associations.
All clients agreeing to use online therapy from Richard J D’Souza are accepting that this therapy contract/agreement, and the services to which it relate, are subject to the jurisdiction of the Laws of England and Wales, UK. You are accepting that any dispute or differences in relation to this contract/agreement shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales, UK.
All therapy services offered are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis and treatment. Please consult with your GP prior to your treatment to diagnose and treat any medical conditions.